for everyone who swears by their clarisonic brush, there are just as many who break out worse when they try it. so what to believe?
at rhee plastic surgery, we are big believers in brush exfoliation. proper exfoliation will make your face glow, reduce breakouts, as well as allow toners, serums and creams to become more effective because of deeper penetration.
however, improper exfoliation and cleaning can leave your skin worse (WSJ) - so here are our tips to do it the right way:
- get a good brush
- Clarisonic is the current champ out there and you cannot go wrong with a Mia 2. Foreo Luna, Clinique, and Philips also have new cleansing systems which may suit your style. Vogue recently ran down some of these newer systems.
- easy does it
- exfoliate only once per day (more is generally worse) and stick to the timer.
- press the brush lightly to the face (these are not paint strippers!)
- use a gentle facial cleanser with the brush (Cetaphil and Cerave products are good and relatively inexpensive to try). Some gritty exfoliants will actually cut your skin during cleaning, causing inflammation and worse problems.
- clean and change out your brush head (and everything else touching your face!)
- make sure you rinse your brush thoroughly after each use - spritzing some rubbing alcohol on the bristles and allowing it to air dry will prevent bacterial growth
- wash your pillow cases, clean your cell phone, and make sure everything touching your face is clean (and whatever you do, stop picking, peeling and touching your face!)
- moisturize, sunscreen, and minimize makeup whenever possible
- dry skin is breakout-prone skin. use moisturizer and sunscreen liberally.
- don't give up - find what works for you
- the longer you work with patients, the more you realize that one solution does not fit all. try exfoliating in the morning. doesn't work? try it before bed. keep working to find that skincare regiment that works for you.
- age plays a significant role - the older we get, the more exfoliation we need.
questions? contact us or ask for a complimentary consultation!